In Nepal, Tribhuvan International Airport is the only one international airport. The Immigration Office, TIA (Tribhuvan International Airport) under Department of Immigration is stationed at the airport for facilitating tourists flying to Nepal by providing Visa on Arrival. ‘On Arrival’ visa procedure is very quick, easy and simple. During peak Tourist season, you can expect some queues. Nevertheless, you can avoid such queues by getting Visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions stationed abroad prior to your arrival. Choice is yours.
If you have obtained visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions stationed at your country, then you must enter Nepal within six months from the visa issued date. Your total stay is counted starting from the day you step inside Nepal.
‘Tourist Visas’ are the visas which you can obtain on Arrival at the Entry and Exit points. They bear multiple Re entry facility. Tourist Visa ‘On Arrival’ is the only entry permit visa to Nepal. If you are visiting Nepal either for Tourism (sightseeing, tour, travel, mountaineering, trekking, visiting friends and families) or other purposes, you should still get ‘ Tourist Visa’. However, you must change the category of visa as per your purpose and length of stay in Nepal along with the required documents as per the Department of Immigration.
The Nationals of designated countries (Nigeria, Ghana, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Cameroon, Somalia, Liberia, Ethiopia, Iraq, Palestine and Afghanistan) are requested to acquire Visa prior their arrival from their nearby Diplomatic missions (Embassies/consulates) of Nepal Government stationed at their country.
Tourist Visa Acquiring Procedure
If you have not acquired Tourist Visa Diplomatic missions (Embassies/consulates) of Nepal Government stationed at your country, please follow these simple procedures for On Arrival Visa at the airport (TIA).
- 1st Step
- Fill in ‘ Arrival Card ‘
- Fill in Online ‘Tourist Visa form (you can fill it up prior to your arrival through TIA official website Department of Immigration / fill it up using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport). If you fill the form from the website, you will get submission Receipt with barcode. You have to print it out and bring it along with your for acquiring visa. The Receipt works for fifteen days and becomes invalid afterward. If so, you will have to fill it up again.
- 2nd Step
- Make payment at the bank according to your visa requirement ( 15/30/90 Days)
- Get the receipt
You can use different modes of payments at visa fees collection counter, but it is advisable to carry some cash to be on the safe side.
On Arrival Visa Fee at Entry Points
15 Days – 30 USD
30 Days – 50 USD
90 Days – 125 USD
- 3rd Step
- Please, proceed to the Immigration Desk with your online form, payment receipts and your passport
- Hand in your documents to immigration officer for visa processing. He/she issues visa to you upon his/her satisfaction.
Visa Extension Fee
- Tourist visa extension is done for minimum 15 days with USD 45 and USD 3 per day for additional days.
- In the case of delay less than 150 days additional USD 5 per day is charged as late fine.
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
The following categories of Visa Applicants are eligible for Gratis Visa which is issued free of cost:
- Children below 10 years except US citizens
- The SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa year gets Gratis Visa for to 30 days. The Afghan citizens are eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of Department of Immigration. The Afghan citizens visiting Nepal can request the concerned institution inviting them to Nepal for necessary paperwork with Department of Immigration to get them Gratis Visa ‘On Arrival’.
- The Non Residential Nepalese(NRN) card holder (issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)
- Chinese Nationals
The Officials from China, Brazil, Russia and Thailand do not need Entry Visa based on reciprocal visa waiver Agreement
All kinds of Visas including ‘Gratis’ are issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. You have to contact Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from Immigration Office stationed at Pokhara too. Non tourist visa extension can only be done at Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of maximum one year (except business visa).